The ruins of medieval fortress Yeni-Sale (Enisala, Heracleea or Heraclia) is located 2km from the town Enisala on a limestone hill that dominates the area lakes Babadag and Razim.
The history of the city and the nearby settlement is illustrated by the names that it had: the Vicus Novus, which translates into New Village at Novoe Selo, which the Turks in their resulting over Yeni-Sale that the actual name of the village derived Enisala. The fortress is situated in a complex with numerous archaeological remains from the Neolithic to the Middle Ages.
Archaeological investigations have been started in 1939 and continued with minor interruptions, during the years 1970-1998. Inhabited medieval corresponds two living levels. First, prior to fortification building, was dated on archaeological material from the late XIII – XIV century. The second level corresponds to the period raising the walls.
The fortress was built to military, defense and surveillance of roads on water and on land, in the second half of XIV century, which challenged the authority of the Danube. Based on construction techniques, archaeological material and historical realities hypothesized that only interested in building a city located in the system of fortifications in northern Dobrogea, directed towards the sea to control sea traffic were Genoese merchants who had large monies that were gained from trade and navigation on the Black Sea monopoly holders. It was first mentioned by name as Yeni-Sale in the fifteenth century, in chronicle of SüKrüllah.
Enisala fortification was part of the Genoese colony chain which encompassed the cities of Danube. Between 1397 – 1418, during the reign of Mircea the Old, the city was part of the defensive system of the Romanian Country.
After the conquest by the Turks in 1419/1420 Dobrogea here was installed Ottoman military garrison. Subsequently, due to advance beyond the mouths of the Danube Turkish domination by Akkerman and Chile (1484) and due to the formation of sand seams separating Razelm Lake Black Sea, the city was abandoned. XVI century it no longer meets the strategic and economic interests of the Turkish (Ottoman).
Materials discovered during archaeological investigations and especially Byzantine coins, Genovese, Moldavian, Wallachian role or attests Turkish military, political, administrative and economic city which he fulfilled.
History is and it feels everywhere in the area.